"Today a reader, tomorrow a leader." Margaret Fuller
- Watson & Associates Literacy Center - Founded 2004
- Open Monday through Thursday: 3:00 - 6:00 pm
- Provides one-to-one literacy tutoring
- Grades Kindergarten through Grade 12
- Services provided by America Reads tutors trained by University Professors
- Services support by credentialed Reading Specialists
The mission of the Literacy Center is to assist students, grades kindergarten through 12, to improve their listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills. Funded by a generous grant from Watson and Associates, the Center offers interactive tutoring within carefully designed programs.
Founded in 2004, the Watson and Associates Literacy Center is a component of the College of Education at the California State University, San Bernardino. The Literacy Center provides one-to-one literacy tutoring in all four domains of literacy: listening, speaking, writing and reading to children in grades kindergarten through 12 four afternoons each week, Monday – Thursday, 3:30-4:30 pm and 4:30-5:30 pm. The tutoring sessions are one day per week for each tutee, one hour per session, and are provided for eight weeks during the fall, winter, and spring quarters of the University.
The Literacy Center is designed to provide tutoring services to students who have not yet achieved grade-level proficiency in literacy, or to any student who would benefit from individual support to advance their skills.
Tutoring services are provided by America Reads tutors and volunteer tutors who are enrolled in courses in the College. America Reads tutors successfully complete an ESEC 545 class which provides tutor training for CSUSB students to work with K-12 students to increase their skills in reading and writing. Topics include literacy methods, multicultural issues, learning disabilities and use of educational software.
Tutors receive ongoing support and coaching on best practices regularly by the reading specialists at the Literacy Center. These strategies provide instructional techniques that tutors can readily and immediately implement to increase effectiveness of the tutoring session.
Pre and post online assessments document the progress of the K-12 students and tutees have increased in the acquisition and use of literacy skills and strategies over time.
For the last week of tutoring, parents and families are invited to attend a Writing Celebration that highlights and celebrates their student's writing projects completed during tutoring.
Literacy Center Tutoring Sessions 2019 - 2020
Spring 2019 - Important Dates
- April 3 - 4: Registration and Pre-assessment
- April 8 - June 3: Tutoring
- May 27: Closed Memorial Day
Fall 2019 - Important Dates
- October 1 - 3: Registration and Pre-assessment
- October 7 - December 9: Tutoring
- November 11: Closed Veterans Day
- November 25 - 28: Closed Thanksgiving Holiday
Winter 2020 - Important Dates
- January 14 - 16: Registration and Pre-assessment
- January 21 - March 16: Tutoring
Spring 2020 - Important Dates
- April 1 - 2: Registration and Pre-assessment
- April 6 - June 1: Tutoring
- May 25: Closed Memorial Day
The Watson Literacy Center is closed on Fridays