The LEAD organization, based at the California State University, San Bernardino, has taken the following steps in order to immediately address the critical educational issues among Latinos:
- Apply existing technological networks to bring educational and community leaders together at the local, regional, and national levels.
- With input from educational and community leaders, create action items to address these critical issues.
- Engage educational and community leaders in discussions focused on the critical education issues affecting Latinos.
- Publicize success/achievement of action items by participating educational institutions and community organizations.
Steps toward solution
- Hold preliminary meetings with local, regional educational and community leaders to plan for regional/national conference
- Publicize the LEAD Conference
- Announce results of conference
- Hold follow up meetings with local, regional educational and community leaders to assess implementation of action items
- Report on success of action items
Issues for Regional Initiative
- Pre K-8 School readiness
- Family (employment, housing)
- Pre-K access and quality
- High School: College readiness & Graduation/dropout crisis
- On track to graduation (credits)
- Quality Education/teachers
- Community resources/mentorship
- College success
- Financial support
- Community readiness
- Availability of jobs
- Pipeline to homeownership
- College/career pathway