First Round Priority Deadline is March 31, 2017
Second Round Deadline is May 31, 2017
Third Round Deadline is July 29, 2017
- Earned baccalaureate and master's degrees in education or a related field from accredited institutions of higher education. A cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher in upper division and graduate study.
- Demonstrated academic excellence, problem-solving ability, technology proficiency, and interest in critically assessing and bringing about improvements in current educational policies and practices.
We are accepting application materials for entry in Fall 2017. Please note that the earlier we receive your application the better as the applicant pool may be filled prior to the third round deadline.
All students must submit a GRE score obtained within the past five years. Information on registering for the test can be found at: ETS (CSUSB Code 4099 - 3001). Additional information about preparing for the GRE is listed at the bottom of this page. Please note that depending upon your GRE score, you may receive a conditional acceptance with those conditions articulated to you in your acceptance correspondence.
Graduate Application for Fall 2017
Paper Application Process
Download and complete the fillable PDF application.
Turn the completed application into the Office of Graduate Studies office via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We recommend that you make a copy of this application and submit the copy to the doctoral studies office as well along with the other materials (see below).
Once your application is received, an email will be sent that will contain your student ID number (Coyote ID) and instructions on how to create your MyCoyote student account.
Pay the $55 application fee online through MyCoyote or at the Student Financial Services office (University Hall, room 035) at CSUSB.
Provide the Office of Graduate Studies with a copy of the application fee receipt. If you paid online through MyCoyote, forward your email confirmation to email@example.com. Include your name and student ID in the email. If you paid in person at the Student Financial Services Office, bring a copy of the receipt to the Office of Graduate Studies, Chaparral Hall room 123.
In addition to the graduate application and fees described above, the following application materials MUST be submitted to the CSUSB Office of Doctoral Studies, College of Education Building, Room 335, 5500 University Pkwy, San Bernardino, CA 92407 to complete your application:
- Official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended since high school graduation
- An official copy of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores from the three sections of the General Test taken within the last five years (some time prior to Fall admission).
- A current Curriculum Vitae (CV) or Resume that includes a detailed list of professional experience, specific skills and accomplishments.
- Three confidential Letters of Recommendation from professionals in the field attesting to leadership and scholarship. One letter should be from a university faculty member (if possible) addressing your potential for academic success in a doctoral program. You should use the following recommendation form.
- Future Directions Essay (two to three pages). Address the challenges related to education in California, make recommendations for change, and note your potential leadership involvement in the process.
- Program Plan Essay (two to three pages). Detail your plan to meet the demands of the program in addition to professional and personal responsibilities.
- Scholarly Writing Example: This can be a paper you wrote for a course in your master's program, a thesis chapter, or a report or grant you have written in your profession. The example you submit needs to demonstrate your analytical writing abilities and be error free.
Once all application materials have been received, selected applicants will be contacted for an in-person interview.
Additional information about preparing for the GRE can be found at the following websites: